[Ecls-list] Line Number of errors ?

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Sep 27 10:46:06 UTC 2008

"Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll" wrote

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote
> >
> > Juango wrote
> >
> > > My current idea is the following: I will add a form (REGISTER-SOURCE
> > > object file position). REGISTER-SOURCE will be a macro that will, by
> > > default, expand to (PROGN) and, in case you redefine it through slime,
> > > it may give rise to a more complicated registration into a database
> > > that Slime can use.
> >
> > This sounds fine. Thanks for your work!
>
> Ok, it is finished. Now there is a global variable
> EXT:*REGISTER-WITH-PDE-HOOK* which must contain a function with three
> arguments: the file location, the form which is being registered and
> an output form. This function has to build a lisp form that, when
> executed, does the appropriate job of registering the variable,
> function, class, etc, with your database of debug information. The
> lisp form has to be such that it executes the output form and returns
> its values.

The problem is that redefining the hook in Slime won't unfortunately do
much, as

  a) ECL itself won't be compiled with such a hook present, so much
     information is already lost;

  b) other (e.g. open source) libraries are not necessarily compiled
     when Slime is loaded.

I'd hence like to ask for a default hook (which may have to be enabled
by the user in the ~/.eclrc.)

Furthermore, I'd like to install a PDE hook during compilation of ECL
itself, which stores some information in some file which is then
installed into "SYS:".

I'd be willing to do the necessary changes, but wanted to ask about what
you think first.

  -T.