[Ecls-list] Line Number of errors ?

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Fri Sep 26 21:00:29 UTC 2008

"Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll"

> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler  wrote:
>
> > Juanjo wrote:
> >
> > > My current idea is the following: I will add a form (REGISTER-SOURCE
> > > object file position). REGISTER-SOURCE will be a macro that will, by
> > > default, expand to (PROGN) and, in case you redefine it through slime,
> > > it may give rise to a more complicated registration into a database
> > > that Slime can use.
> >
> > This sounds fine. Thanks for your work!
>
> Ok, it is finished. Now there is a global variable
> EXT:*REGISTER-WITH-PDE-HOOK* which must contain a function with three
> arguments: the file location, the form which is being registered and
> an output form. This function has to build a lisp form that, when
> executed, does the appropriate job of registering the variable,
> function, class, etc, with your database of debug information. The
> lisp form has to be such that it executes the output form and returns
> its values.

Redefining *REGISTER-WITH-PDE-HOOK* via Slime won't unfortunately do
much, as

   a) it's not available when ECL itself is compiled. So there's much
   information lost already.

   b) it's not even necessarily available when the user builds other
   libraries.

So my question is if a default pde hook could be provided by ECL:

One at compilation of ECL itself which writes some information to a file
which will then be installed to $(DESTDIR)/$(ecldir).

And another hook which can be enabled by the user per ~/.eclrc and which
will store information at some customizable place.

I'd be willing to do the necessary changes myself, but I wanted to ask
about what you think first.

  -T.