[Ecls-list] [Maxima] Maxima/Ecl on 32-bit machine cannot evaluate "apply(union, listify({{..}}))"

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 3 07:21:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Despite the lack of detail it seems pretty obviously a bug in
> ecl/src/c/apply.d which has separate cases for 64 arguments or less
> and more than 64.

Do not say "pretty obviously" please. ECL has a mechanism by which
only up to that many parameters are passed using the C stack and the
rest are on the interpreter stack and it has worked pretty well in the
past.

I am almost 100% sure that this comes from the --enable-asmapply which
has some not too thoroughly tested assembly code -- it got activated
by default in the last release when it had better not be. That is also
the reason why it only happens in intel32bit mode: we only have
assembler code for that platform. Can you please build ECL with
--disable-asmapply or use latest CVS and feed back the results?

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)