[Ecls-list] cl-launch and ecl, again

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 29 08:45:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> two years ago, I made cl-launch to successfully support dumping of
> asdf systems with ECL 0.9i plus a patch I wrote for the builder [...]
> My patch has bitrotten, and
> what's now in asdf-ecl.lisp is wildly different.

Yes, a lot of things have changed, fixing design errors and adding new
functionality to support building monolithic systems that coexist with
non-monolithic ones, avoiding name collisions and many other things
that made the previous asdf:make-build of little use.

> I'm trying to port cl-launch to the new ECL mechanism, and am doing
> things wrong, not being familiar with ECL. What is the right way to
> debug? How do I get ECL to dump a backtrace before it dies? Or even
> better, to enter an interactive debugger?
> At one point, I was having ECL reusing objects from a previous
> compilation and was confused. At this point, I'm befuddled as it dies
> with the uninformative error message:
> ;;; Warning: COMPILE-FILE warned while performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP
> NIL 168542448> on
> #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "header" "cl-launch-prefix" 168378656>.
> but no warning is printed. If I try to insert a break after that
> happens, it also dies.

This is a problem with ASDF itself, not really the ECL environment nor
our extensions. ASDF captures all compiler conditions (i.e. errors and
warnings) and thus will prevent you from entering the debugger. I do
not remember whether there are options to enter the debugger from
ASDF, but you may try setting c::*compiler-break-enable* to T before
building anything

> Also, to save me a bit of work, what is the name of the file created
> by (asdf::make-build :cl-launch-program :type :program) ?

I cannot tell you just like that, without knowing the platform and
your configuration settings. But the ANSI standard function
COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME exists for this reason. Just pass it the same
type as you would pass to make-build.