[Ecls-list] cl-launch and ecl, again

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 23:34:06 UTC 2008

Dear ECL developers,

two years ago, I made cl-launch to successfully support dumping of
asdf systems with ECL 0.9i plus a patch I wrote for the builder. But
trying the latest ECL from debian (actually it is somewhat outdated,
0.9j-20080306-5) or from git (from two days ago), and it now breaks
horribly when trying to dump a system. My patch has bitrotten, and
what's now in asdf-ecl.lisp is wildly different.

I'm trying to port cl-launch to the new ECL mechanism, and am doing
things wrong, not being familiar with ECL. What is the right way to
debug? How do I get ECL to dump a backtrace before it dies? Or even
better, to enter an interactive debugger?

At one point, I was having ECL reusing objects from a previous
compilation and was confused. At this point, I'm befuddled as it dies
with the uninformative error message:
;;; Warning: COMPILE-FILE warned while performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP
NIL 168542448> on
#<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "header" "cl-launch-prefix" 168378656>.
but no warning is printed. If I try to insert a break after that
happens, it also dies.

Also, to save me a bit of work, what is the name of the file created
by (asdf::make-build :cl-launch-program :type :program) ?

An excessive knowledge of Marxism is a sign of a misspent youth.
        -- John McCarthy