[Ecls-list] ECL hang

Dave Roberts dave at vyatta.com
Tue Oct 14 21:37:21 UTC 2008

I have a really odd problem that I have been trying to figure out for a
couple of days. This is with ECL 0.9l, as precompiled by the Fedora people.
I believe this used to work with 0.9j or so. I had an ECL image that was
running for a couple of months and somewhere along the line I upgraded my
ECL package, restarted, and things broke. So, I don't quite remember the
details of what used to work.

Anyway, I have a function called INIT-TERMIOS in my code. When I try to call
that function, ECL just hangs. Initially, I thought it was caused by the
code in the body of the function. I finally ripped out literally everything
in the function, leaving just the following, and it still happens.
(defun init-termios (stream)
  )

I tried running things both interpreted and compiled and the behavior is the
same. Interestingly, if I change the name of the function to
initxxx-termios, things work fine. Am I clashing with an internal symbol of
some sort? If so, should I be getting a warning? The init-termios symbol is
interned in an application package, not cl-user.

Once it hangs, Ctrl-C won't break out. I have to hit Ctrl-\. That dumps back
to the shell.

Any hints for how to debug this?

Thanks,

-- Dave