[Ecls-list] CVS is working. Please confirm.

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at integrable-solutions.net
Thu May 22 01:32:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Samium Gromoff
> <_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru> wrote:
>> It's amazing how Subversion people _still_ keep promoting a clearly
>> inferior VCS.
>
> Don't take it so seriously. Everybody has their own favourite SCM
> system. I still like CVS, because it is everywhere and does the job
> just fine. Indeed, apart from the problems we are having right now, I
> am very reluctant to _move_ the whole of the development to any other
> system.

I'm supportive of that reluctance.

Although I use SVN for my own projects and work, I really appreciate it that I
can update the ECL development tree on regular basis (except for the last
week), and more specifically doing so on a windows box (which happens to be
my primary working laptop -- no, I'm not sold to the evil empire).  I can update
SBCL, CLisp and ECL for regular work with OpenAxiom.  If ECL has to move
to a VCS that renders that difficult for me -- as ECL users, not
developer -- then
it would be very unfortunate.

[...]

> What I would have no problems with is to do a svn mirror of the CVS
> tree. I have investigated this and so far it doesn't seem possible,
> because there is only cvs2svn, which does a one-time job and doesn't
> allow for later incremental updates. I would like to stand corrected,
> and in case there is any, it is not a big deal for me to set up a cron
> job to do the mirroring.

I don't use SVN directly -- I find its interface a bit too low level
to my taste.  Rather,
I use SVK which acts like an SVN client, which can be used to mirror CVS repos.
This is a suggestion only to the extent that you consider moving away from
CVS is worthwhile.

-- Gaby