[Ecls-list] CVS is working. Please confirm.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 21 15:00:20 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:43 PM, Samium Gromoff
<_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru> wrote:
> It's amazing how Subversion people _still_ keep promoting a clearly
> inferior VCS.

Don't take it so seriously. Everybody has their own favourite SCM
system. I still like CVS, because it is everywhere and does the job
just fine. Indeed, apart from the problems we are having right now, I
am very reluctant to _move_ the whole of the development to any other
system.

On the other hand, I develop on about five different machines, two of
which have intermittent access to network. I have used darcs for some
time and got used to having my copy of the history of ECL anywhere and
the simplicity with which branches are created and repositories
cloned.

I find this is valuable for people using more than just releases and
the reason why I am now considering to mirror the source tree using
git is because it provides that, and it is more widely spread and
supported than darcs.

Now, git in Windows is not yet fully supported and even the versions
out there are way more obscure than the graphical environments which
are currently provided both for CVS and SVN. But as I explained, the
goal is not to exclude Windows developers, but to provide a new
service that, as shown now, can be useful.

As for moving development to svn, well, as I said, I am very reluctant
to leave the CVS tree behind and feel lazy to learn yet another system
that has the same centralized philosophy as CVS.

What I would have no problems with is to do a svn mirror of the CVS
tree. I have investigated this and so far it doesn't seem possible,
because there is only cvs2svn, which does a one-time job and doesn't
allow for later incremental updates. I would like to stand corrected,
and in case there is any, it is not a big deal for me to set up a cron
job to do the mirroring.

Regards,