[Ecls-list] CVS is working. Please confirm.

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Wed May 21 14:05:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Julian Stecklina <der_julian at web.de> wrote:
> "Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll" <jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
>> It seems that the CVS mirrors have not been updated, but the
>> maintainers were not aware of that. I am confident that this should be
>> solved in one or two days. If the situation persits, I will set up a
>> GIT mirror accessible via http.
>
> I would advocate using Git for ECL development. I maintain a local Git
> mirror of the CVS repository and it is certainly way more comfortable
> than CVS alone.
>
> git clone http://cthulhu.c3d2.de/~blitz/git/ecl/.git  (mirrored nightly
> from public CVS repository)
>
> Also gitweb is available for nice history browsing:
> http://cthulhu.c3d2.de/~blitz/gitweb/?p=ecl/.git;a=summary
>
> Maintaining a single public "official" Git repository on common-lisp.net
> would certainly be a big advantage.

On the other hand, if you don't want to exclude the Windows people and
still want to have a central repository anyway, Subversion also
eliminates the need for "repository replication" as CVS does. This
means that the public read-only and public developer repositories are
actually the same, giving new changes instantly to the non-committers
crowd.

As an additional advantage, there are very good Windows tools
available to check out Subversion repositories (Check out TortoiseSVN
if you didn't already!).

Bye,

Erik.