[Ecls-list] Recommended Windows environment?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 6 07:27:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Karsten Poeck <karsten.poeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Juanjo,
>
>  just for clarification a question about the best supported windows
>  environment. Which of the following you recommend, or people use most:
>  - cygwin
>  - mingw
>  - Visual C++ 2003 as in the new manual
>  (http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/pr01s06.html#preface.msvc)
>  - Visual studio express 2005
>  - Visual studio express 2008 (http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/)
>  - any other option I forgot?

Hi Karsten, there have been problems with all the windows port due
simply to my lack of a windows box right now. I recommend Visual
Studio Express 2008, which is the one I last installed for three
reasons: it does not need an extra developers toolkit, it comes with
nmake and it is the most likely to be supported by Microsoft in the
short term. Mingw is just a pain on the neck. Cygwin is ok, but it
will not get you a standalone ECL.