[Ecls-list] MAKE-BUILD composition and lack of name mangling

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Tue Mar 25 11:33:04 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I'm not sure about the extent of the intended support for the
make-build-into-a-library-then-link-with-C-code-calling-read_VV scenario,
as other scenarios might have this performed in a different manner,
but I guessed I'd report this anyway, as it might still be relevant
if they don't.

It seems that MAKE-BUILD chooses a potentially conflicting naming scheme
for individual file init routines, and that blows up during composition
of different libraries containing source files with same names.

I.e., during final link of the MAKE-BUILD't library into an executable,
its component system A containing a file foo.lisp will clash with
another component system B containing its own foo.lisp, due to init routines
for both of them being called init_FOO.

Basically, the assumption of libraries having unique names doesn't extend
to their components having unique names.

This is regarding ECL version 0.9j.

regards, Samium Gromoff