[Ecls-list] Swank ECL backend

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Jan 19 12:19:36 UTC 2008

"Geo Carncross" <geocar at gmail.com> writes:

> > I use ECL and Slime from CVS and it drops immediately into the debugger,
> > which seems to cause yet another error:
> >
> > The function SWANK::MAKE-WEAK-KEY-HASH-TABLE is undefined.
> >    [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]
>
> make-weak-key-hash-table shouldn't be used by anything. Can you upload
> an .emacs and .eclrc/.ecl file someplace?

It seems to be used in the slime-presentations contrib
(swank-presentations.lisp.)

> Slime's changed a lot in a year. Your ~/.emacs file wouldn't be
> compatible anymore (for example). Here's the relevant bits from mine:

Actually, in all likelihood it's actually compatible (The only
backwards-incompatible change was that the API of `slime-setup' has
changed, and you called that with keyword args.)

It's just that an old .emacs wouldn't activate some features you may
have grown used to.

> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/ecl")
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/src/slime-devel"))
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/src/slime-devel/contrib"))
> (require 'slime)

(Notice the addition of the contrib dir to `load-path'.)

> (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (slime-mode t)))
> (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
> (require 'slime-fancy-inspector)
> (slime-fancy-inspector-init)
> (require 'slime-presentations)
> (slime-presentations-init)
> (slime-setup)

Actually, all this (AFAICS) should be done by one simple invocation of
`slime-setup':

  (slime-setup '(slime-fancy-inspector slime-presentations))

I recommend to use the line

  (slime-setup '(slime-fancy slime-asdf slime-tramp))

for people who update from older version of slime, as this'll probably
activate everything they're used to.

  -T.