[Ecls-list] ECL output Java bytecode?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Jan 12 21:32:20 UTC 2008

On 1/12/08, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
> It appears that ECL includes a Lisp->bytecode translator.
> >From looking at the list of opcodes (I forget which file I looked at)
> the ECL bytecodes seem to comprise a subset, more or less,
> of Java bytecodes. I wonder if ECL could be modified to output
> Java bytecodes, either by translating ECL bytecodes to Java
> bytecodes or generating Java bytecodes directly

The answer to what you ask is: yes, lisp requires few bytecodes

But there is more than bytecodes: you would have to rewrite the
library C around it providing objects and functions to manipulate
them.

The other thing is that you will need is the equivalent of
setjmp/longjmp to implement nonlocal jumps such as GOTOs, RETURNs,
etc.