[Ecls-list] ECL output Java bytecode?

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 21:11:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

It appears that ECL includes a Lisp->bytecode translator.
>From looking at the list of opcodes (I forget which file I looked at)
the ECL bytecodes seem to comprise a subset, more or less,
of Java bytecodes. I wonder if ECL could be modified to output
Java bytecodes, either by translating ECL bytecodes to Java
bytecodes or generating Java bytecodes directly.

The immediate goal, for me, would be to run Maxima (a computer
algebra program written in Lisp) on a JVM. I am sure there are
many other Lisp programs that could usefully be run on a JVM.

I have looked at other options for running Lisp programs on a
JVM and unfortunately the prospects are slim. There is ABCL
which is a Common Lisp implementation written in Java, but
it is unfinished and the project is dormant. Clisp outputs bytecodes,
but the Clisp bytecodes are very different from Java bytecodes.
Aside from ABCL, there are other Lisp implementations written
in Java but from what I can tell there are no other Common Lisp
implementations.

If you have any comment I would be glad to hear it.

Robert Dodier