[Ecls-list] Was wondering what I could do to help utf-8 support

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 28 07:07:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM,  <David_Creelman at pa.com.au> wrote:
 >  ...Also guessing that utf-8/unicode support is a feature that touches
 > nearly everything and is quite a challenge ?

 I am currently abroad, so I cannot check what sbcl provides. However,
 I guess that utf-8 should only affect the I/O capabilities, for we
 already have big character types and strings based on these.

 The biggest problem right now is that the low level streams are not
 flexible enough to allow for a customized character code translation.
 In addition, the C library is stupid enough so as not to provide an
 interface to FILE, fopen, fread, etc, to do precisely that.

 So I guess if a quick solution is required, one would have to go
 through CLOS streams, which are slow. Or spend more time and improve
 the low level streams, dropping fread/fwrite entirely and using your
 own buffering routines.