[Ecls-list] Slow prettyprinting (update)

Waldek Hebisch hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl
Sat Feb 16 00:36:30 UTC 2008

I wrote:
> Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> > I am not sure how much this improves build times in FriCAS.
> >

> ATM I did not check new_apply branch.  Most data I have measures
> different improvements, but here is comparison for simplified
> build.  Simplified build saves a lot of time consuming using
> pregenerated files (this is essentially the time users of
> "full" release will see).  Using released ecl-0.9j-p1 real
> time on 1.86 GHz Intel Core 2 is 22m59.790.  Using CVS 2008-02-04 23:57
> real time is 18m37.244.

I have now data for bootstrap build.  Compared to full build this
skips generating documentaton (which is also time consuming), but
contains all steps which use prettyprinter:

openmcl         44 min
sbcl            45 min
gcl             54 min
clisp           64 min
ecl-cvs        190 min
ecl-0.9j-p1    306 min

ecl-cvs is CVS 2008-02-04 23:57.  I must admit that difference between
release and cvs version is bigger than I would expect.

Note: this times correspond to current SVN FriCAS, earlier versions
have much longer build times.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
hebisch at math.uni.wroc.pl