[Ecls-list] Swank ECL backend

Geo Carncross geocar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 03:53:13 UTC 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 5:34 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2008 2:49 PM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de> wrote:
> > This would result in a a quite severe memory leak, as all REPL results
> > are stored in that hash-table.
>
> I wonder, what does Slime use the weak hash table for? Is it some kind
> of caching? I have successfully implemented a hash table cache in ECL
> using ordinary hash tables and a simple cleanup algorithm. This is
> used for method caching and it ended up being the most efficient
> alternative. Maybe it would be worth considering it?

Right now, it's used for the presentations contrib which basically is
used to cache objects that have been sent to the repl. I was just
looking over this and it seems to be a bad idea to do this. I suppose
it makes te objects uninteractable after they've been in the repl long
enough, but a simple list might be a better way to do this. Wipe the
list when the repl gets cleared, and pop off a few entries if it gets
too long.

I'm going to ask the slime mailing list for advise about this.