[Ecls-list] LOOP error

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 3 11:32:23 UTC 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 12:12 PM, Nicolas Neuss <neuss at math.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> "Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll" <jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> >> SBCL, CMUCL, Clisp, GCL and ABCL all accept that and only Clisp signals a
> >> warning about it
> >
> > LOOP is an ugly beast. I just stole that code and I doubt I can fix
> > that. But I insist it is not a bug, but a commonly accepted practice.
>
> As much as I remember, also Allegro did not accept this construct, and I
> had to change my code to remain portable.

It is quite possible that both compilers drink from the same sources.
Most implementations of LOOP come from the same original one which
motivated the spec.

In my opinion the strict format is useful: it shows that the iteration
statements are implemented and executed before the termination
conditions and that these can be evaluated in a different order.