[Ecls-list] Maxima + ECL status

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 17 15:09:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
> sh bootstrap; LDFLAGS=$FOO ./configure --enable-ecl; make; make check

> FOO might or might not be empty, but for at least one system I work on,
> LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib or it won't work.

ECL has to find its own library. If LD_LIBRARY_FLAG is not set to a
location where libecl.so resides, then ECL will fail to start. -rpath
solves this by encoding the location of the library.

> By the way, I found it necessary to supply LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib
> when building ECL itself.

If ECL depends on libraries which are located there, then this flag
may help. Otherwise, it should not be required to build ECL. Am I
wrong?

> Looking forward to any reports about Maxima + ECL.

Just downloaded Maxima and seems to build with the latest git sources.
I only found that when invoking ECL, the build process does not use
the flag -norc, and since my settings in ~/.ecl interfered with the
build, it failed. That should be taken into account.