[Ecls-list] success, was: broken local installation of ecl

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 20:17:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Oliver Kullmann
<O.Kullmann at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
> Both sources say what I said: You can use readline like gcc.
> Maybe there would be some fighting involved: But this seems to me
> part of (real) democracy to me.

I know these are honest feelings. But the difference is that you and
me, as hobbyist, can afford things that more serious users, companies
and specially freelancers can not. And I would like ECL (perhaps just
a dream) to become more heavily used by serious people in real life
projects.

That said, it has many times been discussed the possibility of adding
readline-like functionality to ECL. The most realistic option, apart
from rlwrap, is having a lisp library do the job
http://common-lisp.net/project/linedit/ AFAIK, this one could be
ported, since it only uses UFFI and libcurses.

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)