[Ecls-list] success, was: broken local installation of ecl

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 28 17:37:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:25 PM, Oliver Kullmann
<O.Kullmann at swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
> setting LDFLAGS I was also able to compile ECL and to
> build Maxima, but yet it's not usable:

By usable you mean that you do not have readline functionality?!?

> Neither the ECL nor the Maxima frontend now understands
> any cursor key. As far as I know that is a readline thing,
> but I have a system-installation of readline, and also the
> ecl-installation done before hadn't any problem with that.
> (Or any other installation, like clisp ...)

Readline is not something that Maxima provides. It is a library that
may be used by an implementation to provide a more convenient
toplevel. Clisp is linked with it. ECL has _never_ and will never use
it, because it carries a license that would automatically turn ECL
into a GPL project, preventing any commercial use.

There are alternatives to using readline. There are programs that act
as a front ent between you and your lisp implementation, from simple
readline simulators which have been thoroughly discussed in the
mailing list to the great emacs, which is a superb frontend both for
lisp and for maxima.

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)