[Ecls-list] ecl on Solaris/sparc?

Raymond Toy toy.raymond at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 00:34:33 UTC 2008

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 4:28 AM, Raymond Toy <toy.raymond at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> First, the rest of ecl wants to build a 32-bit app, but gmp builds a
>> 64-bit library, so that doesn't work together.  I think ecl may want to
>> set ABI=32 when building gmp so that gmp will build a 32-bit library.  I
>> didn't try making a 64-bit version of ecl, so I don't know if that would
>> have worked or not.
>>

> First, I apologize for the lack of continued support of the solaris
> platform, but since the Sourceforge compiler farm was closed, I have
> had no luck finding another solaris account -- and installing
> opensolaris on a virtual machine is, let's say, not really easy (help
> is welcome).

As mentioned in my other email, this is now working for me with one change.
> Then, the mismatch between GMP's ABI and the operating system default
> ABI is a know issue. That is why there is a flag --enable-slow-config
> in ECL's configuration mechanism: it runs GMP's configuration before
> even attempting to do ECL's, and then it uses the C and linker flags
> from the resulting library.

Yes, I used --enable-slow-config and ABI=32.
>> I stuffed the macros in ecl.h, and placed the C implementation in
>> numbers.d.  I can provide a patch if desired.
>>

> Hmm, it should probably be much easier to force the compilation flag
> that Michael suggested. There is a platform-dependent section in
> aclocal.m4 which we can enlarge to include it.

As explained in the other mail, this doesn't work on Solaris 8.  I just
changed isfinite to finite.  Not sure if that's right, because I can't
think of any test case to create an infinity that would test isfinite in
ecl.

If you can provide some guidance on how you want to handle this issue, I
can help implement it and test it.

Ray