[Ecls-list] ecl on Solaris/sparc?

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 26 02:42:18 UTC 2008

Raymond Toy wrote:

Hi Raymond,

 > I tried compiling ecl-0.9l on sparc/Solaris using gcc 3.4.3 and ran into
 > a few problems.
 >
 > First, the rest of ecl wants to build a 32-bit app, but gmp builds a
 > 64-bit library, so that doesn't work together.  I think ecl may want to
 > set ABI=32 when building gmp so that gmp will build a 32-bit library.  I
 > didn't try making a 64-bit version of ecl, so I don't know if that would
 > have worked or not.

That is probably a good idea, but gmp is somewhat inconsistent there,
i.e. it builds a 64 bit version if the hardware supports it. Defaulting
to 32 bit since gcc also defaults to 32 bit seems like the best solution.

 > After fixing that, eclmin won't link because isfinite is not defined.
 > Solaris 10 seems to have isfinite in math.h, but only if _STDC_C99 is
 > defined.  This isn't defined with gcc 3.4.3 so that doesn't work.  My
 > solution was to steal definitions for isnan and isfinite from glibc.  I
 > stuffed the macros in ecl.h, and placed the C implementation in
 > numbers.d.  I can provide a patch if desired.

Shouldn't you add "-std=c99" to CFLAGS? Solaris is "correct" about that
since it is a C99 feature IIRC :)

 > That took care of the linking problem.
 >
 > The last problem I have no solution for.  When linking in libeclgc, I
 > get linker errors about non-aligned access in sparc_mac_dep.S.  Not sure
 > what that means, but I'm basically stuck there.

Sounds like a gas issue I had seen before. The Sun Freeware tools ship
an ancient binutils. I "fixed" it by removing the "-g" flag since the
problem was dwarf2 debugging symbols, but I might be very wrong here.

 > Any tried building ecl on Sparc?  Am I doing something wrong?

I will play around with it in the near future and let you know how it
goes. But I am using gcc 4.2.4 and the latest binutils on Solaris 10, so
it might not be something that is too helpful in your case.

 > Ray

Cheers,

Michael