[Ecls-list] Advantages and disadvantages of included libraries?

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 21 06:48:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 1:15 AM, Mark Hoemmen <mark.hoemmen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:47 PM, John Connors <johnc at yagc.ndo.co.uk> wrote:
>> What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the included Boehm
>> library as oppsed to simply using an existing system version? Also, what
>> is the advantage of the included version of gmp?
>
> I can't speak for the chief developers, but here's my opinion:
>
> It's friendly, especially for novice users, to make the ./configure -
> make - make install routine "just work," rather than break with "I
> can't find this library" errors.

That's true. But besides that, for the Windows port, we need to
provide at least some libraries that build out of the box, for that
platform does not have a simple way to install the GMP or Boehm
libraries. In particular, to build the GMP library using Microsoft's
compiler is impossible and one needs some special files that we
already include.

Instituto de Física Fundamental
CSIC, Serrano, 113, Madrid 28040 (Spain)