[Ecls-list] Build system support for ECL now in Maxima cvs

James Amundson amundson at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Aug 8 15:39:21 UTC 2008

Michael Abshoff wrote:
> James Amundson wrote:

>> P.S. I have tried compiling ecl maxima on three platforms: (1) 64-bit
>> Fedora 8, (2) 32-bit Fedora 9, (3) 64-bit Redhat Enterprise 5. (2) and
>> (3) work fine. (1) fails with an "out of memory" error. As luck would
>> have it, (1) is my main development platform. If I had realized that
>> the out-of-memory error was a platform-specific problem, I would have
>> finished the port a long time ago. It was only when I tried a slightly
>> different machine than my usual one that I was able to make progress.
>
> Are you using Boehm_gc on (1) - or is this problem not specific to the
> garbage collection backend?

I'm using the default options for configure with 0.9l, so the answer is
yes. In fact, I just tried
	./configure --prefix=/home/amundson/opt/ecl --enable-boehm=no
and configure failed with the message

configure: error: Boehm GC library is currently needed to build ECL

I'd be happy to submit more debugging information, but I don't even know
where to start at this point.

--Jim