[Ecls-list] A fatally-looking bug.

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 29 07:35:25 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Samium Gromoff
<_deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru> wrote:
>  I've ran across a bug in ECL looking like an internal corruption
>  resulting in a SIGSEGV and ECL termination, whose reproduction
>  unfortunately requires executing a program dependent on specialized
>  hardware to run, and consisting of a chain of ASDF systems.

Can it bee that your system is exhausting the stack? I have seen that
many times with deeply recursive code that was run in the interpreter.
And if ASDF has some complicated graph, it may well be that MAKE-BUILD
ends up in some kind of infinite loop.

>  What would be your suggestion for me to proceed with the situation?

You can run ECL in the debugger, GDB with something like "gdb run" and
then proceed as in a normal lisp image. At some point you will get a
SIGSEGV and enter the debugger again. Producing a backtrace with "bt"
should give you an idea of what functions were called last.

>  Adding to the misfortune is the fact that making a build of this program
>  is drastically slowed down by the ASDF:MAKE-BUILD operating on an
>  unminimised dependency graph, thereby recompiling the same source files
>  many times.

I have not had time to look at this. Help is welcome.