[Ecls-list] more about Maxima + ECL

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 29 07:27:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Robert Dodier <robert.dodier at gmail.com> wrote:
>  You should be able to follow the steps listed in maxima/INSTALL.lisp
>  through step 9a.

Thanks, I am reading them now.

>  I also tried launching ECL and then (LOAD "binary-ecl/maxima.fas")
>  (created by steps 1 to 6) but then the Maxima test suite fails with
>  many errors (after launching Maxima by (CL-USER::RUN)).

It may well be that the link order of these files is not the proper
one. I do not know how Michael's functions work, but the order in
which files are initialized is pretty critical.

>  >  My experience is also that Maxima assumes a certain behavior of the
>  >  lisp image such as the fact that COMPILE is cheap,
>
>  COMPILE is a minor consideration. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

The thing is that this can be probably solved using the bytcodes
compiler, if the functions are mostly used for plotting then you do
not need so much speed.

>  I'll look at the errors in more detail later. I might not have time to do it
>  for a couple of weeks.

No worries. I would like to become familiar with the build process
first. I already found a couple of things -- like source files are
loaded instead of the compiled files -- which might solve some
problems.