[Ecls-list] more about Maxima + ECL

Robert Dodier robert.dodier at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 17:26:45 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

>  >  (3) Maxima + ECL, interpreted, runs its testsuite in about 10 times
>  >  as long as for Clisp or GCL. (GCL is definitely faster than Clisp,
>  >  but both are much faster than interpreted ECL.)
>  >  Maxima + ECL, compiled, is faster, maybe as fast as Clisp,
>  >  but I can't tell for sure since there were so many errors.
>
>  Again, how do I test setups 1 2 and 3?

You should be able to follow the steps listed in maxima/INSTALL.lisp
through step 9a.

I also tried launching ECL and then (LOAD "binary-ecl/maxima.fas")
(created by steps 1 to 6) but then the Maxima test suite fails with
many errors (after launching Maxima by (CL-USER::RUN)).

>  My experience is also that Maxima assumes a certain behavior of the
>  lisp image such as the fact that COMPILE is cheap,

COMPILE is a minor consideration. I'm sorry I mentioned it.

>  that lots of files can be loaded and, in the past, that memory images could be dumped.

We will have to figure out something that works.

I'll look at the errors in more detail later. I might not have time to do it
for a couple of weeks.

Robert Dodier