[Ecls-list] Dumping running image

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:17:48 UTC 2007

On 11 Mar 2007 05:25:04 -0500, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr at cs.tamu.edu> wrote:
> | In any case, Fare has talked here about an utility called cl-launch.
> | You might want to look at it, because it does what you want,
> | abstracting the steps for different implementations.
>
> Yes, Faré effectively mentioned that to me yesterday; I took a look at
> it and at this moment it would not help me much.  In particular, if I
> understand cl-launch correctly is does not support ECL for dumping
> current images.
Since version 2, CL-Launch does support ECL for dumping images. Try
the latest version (2.04) from my site. Actually, although it was by
far the hardest implementation to support, ECL is now also the best
supported, since you can use cl-launch to create ECL-based executables
that do not need any wrapper script at all. [Command-line parsing
issues prevent that with clisp and sbcl.]
  http://cliki.net/cl-launch

All you need is an ASDF definition for your system -- which is a good
idea, anyway. Even a simple one with just a list of files and :serial
t would do. But ASDF can help you divide your system in such a way as
to load macro-defining files before the macros are used.

> The system is not prepared at this point to use ASDF; it uses Autoconf
> and regular Makefiles, and I'm making an incremental update.

You should never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for
freedom and liberty.
                -- Henrik Ibsen