[Ecls-list] feature request: a separate variable for linker command

Gabriel Dos Reis gdr at cs.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 29 16:19:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

  Et the moment, ECL uses c::*cc* -- a command to invoke the C compiler --
as a command to invoke the linker.  That works for many cases. However,
for situations where the linker command needs to be different from
that of the C compiler, one our of luck.  A case in point is use of
libtool to invoke the linker: in that case, one really wants something like:

    libtool --mode=link cc ...

I would like to suggest the introduction of the variable

      c::*ld*

that holds the linker command, and that is used for linking purpose,
e.g. create of executables, or FASLs, or share libraries.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-- Gaby