[Ecls-list] "broken at EVAL"?, and init.lsp

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 10 20:57:48 UTC 2007

The appropiate startup file is one of the following two names:

~/src/ecls-new/src/lsp$ grep eclrc *
cmdline.lsp:(defvar *lisp-init-file-list* '("~/.ecl" "~/.eclrc")

so either .ecl or .eclrc in the home directory. When the
initialization file is loaded there is only a minimal error detection
system, without debugger, so that if an error happens you will
typically get a message like "An error occurred during
initialization..." See for instance

~$ ecl
An error occurred during initialization:
In function COS, the value of argument is
which is not of expected type NUMBER.
~$ cat $HOME/.ecl
(print (cos 'A))

2007/1/10, Clayton Morrison <clayton at isi.edu>:
> (1) The startup message for ecl ends with "Broken in EVAL" (I see in the
> mail list archive that others get this too).  What does this mean?

This would happen if during initalization one of the forms signals an
error and somehow the debugger is launched. But this should not happen
unless your initialization code messes with the environment.

> According to the documentation, ecl will automatically load init.lsp from
> the current working directory

This information is obsolete. I will remove it from the manual.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/