[Ecls-list] OSX + GMP issues

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 25 09:27:31 UTC 2007

Hi,

thanks to Rick, I have been able to track the issue of the corrupted
libraries. Actually they were at all not corrupt. There was a
different issue.

The problem was that the GMP library is very aggressive at producing
code and by default uses the 64 bit instruction set of the PowerPC
machines. That, under OSX, means the rest of ECL has to be compiled in
64 bit mode (Hence the message about the broken library: we were
trying to mix 32 and 64 bit code).

I tried building ECL in 64 bit mode, but there must be a problem with
the garbage collector that prevents doing so. Instead, I opted to
force GMP to build in 32 bit mode.

This change has been committed to CVS today.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,