[Ecls-list] Kamen Lisp - ECL embedded in Firefox

Dustin Long dlong at stevens.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:54:05 UTC 2007

Pierre THIERRY wrote:
> Scribit Dustin Long dies 04/04/2007 hora 21:12:
>
>> I wanted to announce a project I've been hacking on for a while. It's
>> a Firefox extension that allows Common Lisp to be used instead of
>> Javascript to script webpages. Naturally, it uses ECL as the lisp
>> environment.
>>

> I've been waiting for it!
>

>> http://www.cs.stevens.edu/~dlong/software/kamen/fib.html
>>

> One remark and some questions:
>
> - the page is not a valid HTML document, the Lisp code should either be
>   escaped or protected in CDATA sections

Thanks, I'll be sure to fix that.
> - why is the value of onClick "run();" and not "(run)"? does that mean
>   that your code make it possible to call CL from JS?

Currently, calling top-level lisp functions from click events is a bit
of a hack. Pages still run Javascript by default for any inlined script
(oncommand, onclick, etc handlers) and I haven't looked into trying to
hook that or anything. So instead, if the function is undefined, it
looks whether there's a lisp version, and calls that.

Strictly speaking though, yes, it's possible to call arbitrary CL from
JS. But it requires creating a component from the JS and invoking its
"evaluate" function (not demonstrated in this sample).
> BTW, will you release this code under a free licence?

MPL almost certainly.