[Ecls-list] Latest changes

Yaroslav Kavenchuk kavenchuk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:22:25 UTC 2006

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> After a couple of days of frantic coding, I think I have fixed most
> bugs related to support of unicode strings in the library functions.
> That includes things such as string comparisons, pathnames,
> structures, symbols, etc.

Many thanks!
Small offer: when ECL build with unicode do not use (from CHANGELOG)
"ALPHA-CHAR-P, ALPHANUMERICP, CHAR-UPCASE, CHAR-DOWNCASE,   etc, based
on the ISO C99 library functions for wide characters" - this is not work
correctly for non-ascii characters on win32 (on linux?). Other library
is necessary (instead of I know it) or own functions, based on
UnicodeData - http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt (as in
sbcl/clisp).

> What is left is probably the hardest thing. Namely, I/O with Unicode
> characters. This must necessarily be accompanied by a redesign of
> ECL's streams which allows for extensible streams, external formats
> and buffers handled by lisp.

Maybe use libiconv? (it is on win32 too)

Many thanks again!