[Ecls-list] Re: base-string patch

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Mon May 22 02:20:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 17:56 +0900, Brian Spilsbury wrote:
> At the moment I've decided to not worry about scripts and just get
> unicode strings working, with extended characters being locked down to
> boring defaults for case conversion, the reader, etc.

Well, one can easily build on top of this. I am busy right now fixing
some compiler bugs, I am looking forward to your patch.

> Currently I'm permitting unicode symbol names, since it looks like
> that may require some policy decisions with respect to C identifiers.

"Weird" in the sense of not ANSI C characters are replaced by more
standard ones (_, uppercase letters, etc) systematically when creating C
names for functions. Is this what you mean?

> There is some old code for #\Axx character names, which I've ripped
> out and replaced with #\ux* so that #\u1 #\21 #\321, etc should all
> work -- if there's a good reason to use #\Axx, then let me know :)

No problem with this.

> I'm currently looking at adding string literal escaping such as
> "\u1a2- the\uea8-" -- using - to terminate the hex digit sequence, but
> I'm open to other suggestions.

This use of #\\ breaks the standard and it might break other's people
code. It should not be needed once we have streams reading UTF-8 and
editors which understand it. However, I agree that this feature might be
useful. What you want should be implemented as a separate reader macro,
perhaps #u"....".

Regards,