[Ecls-list] make-load-form patch

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Thu May 18 02:46:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:31 +0900, Brian Spilsbury wrote:
> My plan is to add three additional stream types which use iconv for
> encoding translation, to extend the permitted range of character, and
> discriminate base-char from character by the value, then separate
> character and base-char strings.

What would be the range for characters? I assume 16 bits is not enough
for chinese, is it? In any case, the 21-bit encoding of UTF-32 will
definitely fit in the cl_fixnum type.

A more controversial issue is how to handle isalpha(), and similar
macros. This will depend on the size of the character type. For windows,
I think wchar_t is 16 bit while for Linux wchar_t is 32 bit and there
would be no problem translating the character to wchar_t and using the
library functions.

> I'm also considering support string streams with :external-format,
> which would operate on base-char strings.

That should be left to a second step, shouldn't it?

Max-Planck-Institut für Quantenoptik
Hans-Kopfermann-Str. 1, Garching, D-85748, Germany
Phone: +49 89 32905 345   Fax: +49 89 32905 336
http://www.mpq.mpg.de/Theorygroup/CIRAC/