[Ecls-list] make-load-form patch

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Wed May 17 08:28:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:31 +0900, Brian Spilsbury wrote:
> > Furthermore, need-to-make-load-form-p has been recoded to be faster on
> > atomic objects and to complain on circular structures. If you try to
> > externalize something like
> >  (1 2 3  #<a standard-object>)
> > it is ok, but if you try externalizing
> >  #1=(1 2 3  #<a standard-object> #1#)
> > ECL will complain that it cannot do such a thing. I think this is a
> > reasonable compromise.
>
> That sounds good.
> If they want to externalize such a thing, I think that they need to
> use make-load-form to build it without the circularity, and then
> initialize it to be circular.

With the patches I committed today, ECL can even compile such
structures. The only problem, but this is a completely unrelated one, is
that EQ of the externalized data is not always preserved when using
COMPILE-FILE (It is when using COMPILE because constants are never
written to the C file)

After some testing and feedback from people out there, I think the issue
of externalization of constants in ECL is mostly solved. In this sense,
I think this implementation is better than CMUCL's because we can dump
constants with circular references _and_ non-printable objects.

Regards,