[Ecls-list] Type inference

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Tue Jan 10 01:43:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:02 -0500, Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2006, at 4:51 AM, Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 13:43 -0500, Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> >> it looks like GCL is now doing some type inference.  Is ECL following
> >> up on this?
> >
> > ECL always had type inference. This improved in latest versions due to
> > the increased power of ECL's SUBTYPEP, which is more accurate than what
> > other implementations provide.
>
> Ok.  Thanks.  But how does it compare to CMUCL?
> My recollections of KCL and derivatives is that they did not really do
> much in terms of type inference.

As I mentioned in the previous part, ECL has a smaller set of type
declarations built in and the types of variables are set for the whole
of the function, not for different code paths. This makes it poorer than
CMUCL, but that's nothing definitive: once correctness of the compiler
is assured, somebody can take care of improving the type inference.

Regards,