[Ecls-list] head: -8 is deprecated in 0.9i

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 23 07:40:04 UTC 2006

2006/12/23, Dennis Heuer <dh at triple-media.com>:
> I tried to install ecl the first time but it stopped because of
> deprecated options for the head command.

I have checked the CVS source tree. The command "head" is not directly
used anywhere. I do not know whether this might be an artifact of
autoconf. What operating system do you use?

> Btw., arrow keys produce escape codes in the runtime environment when
> under X. In bash, arrow keys cause the cursor to run around on screen
> and, after pressing return, the environment prints an 'unknown ESC
> character' error. In both, the prompt 'grows' for one new '>' after each
> error message.

When you press a control key, meta, arrow, etc, on a terminal, an
application which is not aware will just read garbage. Bash uses
"readline", a library that interprets these characters and builds a
command line history. ECL cannot afford to be linked against readline
because of license issues.

A port to some BSD clone might be conceivable, but for now I prefer to
use ECL from emacs, either in terminal mode or with slime.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/