[Ecls-list] dynamic linking vs. dynamic runtime

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll jjgarcia at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 20 15:38:33 UTC 2006

2006/12/20, jon klein <jk at artificial.com>:
> I would like to statically link ECL into the project.  If I build ECL
> with --disable-shared, I get static libraries and everything works
> fine.  The problem is that --disable-shared ALSO disabled the shared
> runtime, and when I try to "compile" from within ECL, I get an error
> saying that dynamic linking is not enabled.

There is a very simple problem: unlike in GCL which implements its own
unportable object file loader, in ECL a compiled file is nothing but a
shared library linked against another shared library that contains the
ECL runtime. That means FASL files can not be used in a statically
linked version of the runtime.

Dpto. de Fisica Teorica I, Fac. de CC Fisicas, Universidad Complutense,
http://teorica.fis.ucm.es/~jjgarcia/