[Ecls-list] dynamic linking vs. dynamic runtime

jon klein jk at artificial.com
Wed Dec 20 15:23:51 UTC 2006

Hi folks,
I've just started work on embedding ECL into a project (http://
spiderland.org/) and have run into a small problem.

I would like to statically link ECL into the project.  If I build ECL
with --disable-shared, I get static libraries and everything works
fine.  The problem is that --disable-shared ALSO disabled the shared
runtime, and when I try to "compile" from within ECL, I get an error
saying that dynamic linking is not enabled.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, these should be two distinct
uses of "dynamic" and should not be mutually exclusive.  Is it
possible to somehow build a version of ECL that can be statically
linked into a C program, but retain the ability to do runtime dynamic
linking?

Thanks,

- jon klein