[Ecls-list] cl-launch and ECL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 18:18:19 UTC 2006

Dear ECL hackers,

I realize I hadn't properly tested image dumping with ECL, and that I
didn't get it to work properly in presence of systems. The issue is
manyfold:

(1) ECL's compile-file-pathname is broken (see previous file). I could
work around that by wrapping a fix.

(2) c::builder is broken by forcing :type "o" on all the specified
:lisp-files. This is quite a problem when some of the files are
library files created by a previous run of the builder. [I could
possibly work around by renaming files but it's getting ugly.]

(3) the builder insists on using -l flags to specify a library for
each asdf system being depended upon. Instead, cl-launch needs to be
able to compile library dependencies for asdf systems on-demand into
its compilation cache and to specify an explicit path to the libfoo.a
for each of these libraries the final compilation -- OR it would be
nice if c::builder had a flag whereby it would use asdf:output-files
for each of the libraries and either trust the result as the library
to load, or probe-file the library and only fallback to using -l if it
is not present. OR, you shall let me specify paths where to look for
libraries (but what if there are name conflicts? I'd rather specify
the full path for each of the things I want).

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759