[Ecls-list] Using Femlisp with ECL / Bug reports

Nicolas Neuss Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Oct 27 02:30:32 UTC 2005

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:

> Anyway, thanks for testing ECL with femlisp. I think _that_ is the type
> of programs we should be looking at to see what needs to be done or
> improved in ECL.

I tend to agree.  As much as I see, ECL and GCL both have some potential
for numerical applications due to their possibly better integration with
C/C++ libraries.  If the performance problems can be solved...

> BTW, I saw you use PBS on some of the scripts. Is femlisp a parallelized
> program itself?

Not yet, but I would like to make it so.  I have run it on a 32 node
cluster (each node having 2 AMD processors with 2GB RAM), but unfortunately
only as a serial application.  Using two processors for some
computationally intensive parts should be easily possible.  Using all nodes
would need a reasonable MPI interface.

> Regards,
>
> Juanjo

Yours, Nicolas