[cffi-devel] Re: [Fwd: RE: [Ecls-list] Foreign variables setting problem]

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 16:36:56 UTC 2005

On 26/10/05, Luis Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/out/2005, at 22:36, Faré wrote:
> > Ahem. I think it's good to have higher-level things that do more for
> > you, but they should be layered portably on top of the low-level
> > access primitives. Use symbol-macros, define-set-expander and suches
> > if you want your variable access to magically manage memory. CFFI
> > should start with the low-level.
>
> Oh yes, of course. 'low-level' is a relative concept though. Do you
> think CFFI's current approach is too high-level?

No, as far as I can tell (which is not that much), CFFI does about the
right thing. The proposals by the ECL people (automatic management of
alien pointer variables) seem to me like they could and should be
layered on top of CFFI instead of being proposed as something that
CFFI should use.

It is now quite lawful for a Catholic woman to avoid pregnancy by a resort to
mathematics, though she is still forbidden to resort to physics and chemistry.
                -- H.L. Mencken