[cffi-devel] Re: [Fwd: RE: [Ecls-list] Foreign variables setting problem]

Luis Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 14:56:51 UTC 2005

On 26/out/2005, at 22:36, Faré wrote:
> Ahem. I think it's good to have higher-level things that do more for
> you, but they should be layered portably on top of the low-level
> access primitives. Use symbol-macros, define-set-expander and suches
> if you want your variable access to magically manage memory. CFFI
> should start with the low-level.

Oh yes, of course. 'low-level' is a relative concept though. Do you
think CFFI's current approach is too high-level?

1. foreign-symbol-ptr to get a pointer to the foreign variable.

2. defcvar to define a symbol macro for accessing a foreign variable
(built on top of foreign-symbol-ptr).

3. eventually expand defcvar to do more for the user wrt to memory
management.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/