[Fwd: [Ecls-list] Re: Building on debian]

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Sun Nov 20 05:14:01 UTC 2005

---------------------------- Mensaje Original ----------------------------
Asunto:    [Ecls-list] Re: Building on debian
Remitente: Faré <fahree at gmail.com>
Fecha:     Dom, 20 de Noviembre de 2005, 4:47 am
Para:      ecls-list at lists.sourceforge.net

> OK, so I never managed to get the included boehm GC to work, not even by
tweaking configure.
> Eventually, I used:
>
>./configure --enable-boehm=system --enable-threads --enable-opcode8
--with-tcp --with-clx --with->clos-streams --with-cmuformat --with-asdf
--with-defsystem --with-cmp --with-rt --with-x --with->__thread

You are using two experimental flags: --enabl-opcode8 and --with-__thread.
They do not work everywhere.

BTW, you say you are building on Debian, but you did not mention which
version.

> Wouldn't it be nice if ecls could build out of the box?

You could have spared this comment. It is not constructive criticism and
it sounds rather like sarcasm. I will not follow that route.

ECL builds on all linux systems I tried if you use the default flags:
./configure. That brings you ASDF, CMUFORMAT, DEFSYSTEM, ASD, CMP, RT,
CLOS-STREAMS. At most, testing with --enable-threads is done on certain
platforms, that including variants of RedHat on Intel, my Ubuntu machine,
as well as Windows. Just testing the default flags implies 12 different
machines building ECL on a regular basis. Other flags may or may not work.
I do not have enough cpu time, time and machines to keep all users happy.

As for the flag --enable-boehm, it will be removed in the next release or
at least the "auto" option will disappear and default to the collector
shipped with ECL. I am tired of having lots of distributions that either
store the headers of the collector in weird places, keep too old versions
(OpenBSD) or simply do not install all headers.

Regards,