[Ecls-list] I can not compile ECL using "VC++ Studio 2003" on Windows XP

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Mon Nov 7 03:25:09 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 14:20 +1100, Dean O'Connor wrote:
> Well I have been compiling with MSVC 6.0 using just the plain "Makefile"
> in msvc dir. ie. just "nmake" with no args.

Makefile.msvc6 are obsolete. One should use simply "nmake" which takes
the Makefile files. I will delete the others from CVS.

> I just run VCVARS32.BAT  from MS Studio VC bin to get compile vars set.

This is ok if you use MS VC Studio, but if one downloads the free
packages, Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 and Microsoft Platform SDK, then
one should also run the SetEnv.cmd which comes with the SDK.

> Having said that, I have just refreshed my CVS  and now when I build (on
> 2 PC's) I don't get the DLL or EXE either.
> I tried a clean CVS checkout and still no go.
> Build seems broken again. No noticeable error msgs.
> I am compiling using the --enable-threads.

Probably you mean with
	nmake ECL_THREADS=1
I am now trying the build with ECL_THREADS="" and ECL_DEBUG="" and it
seems to work, apart from a flag "/link /nodefaultlib:libcmt" which is
required so that the free compiler only links against msvcrt.lib.

> last thing I see on the build is this:
>
>         cd ..
>         c\cut "~A" "D:/Software/ECL/lib/ecl" "~*" ""  "@ECL_CFLAGS@"
> "-MD -Zi -GX -DGC_DLL -nologo -DECL_THREADS"  "@LDFLAGS@" "-MD -Zi
>  "  "@CLIBS@" ""  "@libdir@" "D:/Software/ECL"  "@includedir@"
> "D:/Software/ECL/h"  < util\ecl-config.bat > ecl-config.bat
>         c\cut "@ECL_CFLAGS@" "-MD -Zi -GX -DGC_DLL -nologo
> -DECL_THREADS"  "@LDFLAGS@" "-MD -Zi "  "@CLIBS@" ""  "@libdir@" "D:/Softwar
> e/ECL"  "@includedir@" "D:/Software/ECL/h"  < util\ecl-cc.bat > ecl-cc.bat

I'll look into that.