[Ecls-list] Re: ECL 0.9f released

lisp lisp at arrakis.es
Sun May 22 05:37:26 UTC 2005

> "lisp" <lisp at arrakis.es> writes:
>
>> Announcement of ECL v0.9f
>> =========================
>
> I have successfully built ECL under MacOSX 10.3.9 with
> ./configure --with-tcp --prefix="/Users/luis/Software"
> but 'make install' fails with this error: [...]
>
> install-info(ecldev.info): no backup file /var/backups/infodir.bak
> available.
> install-info(ecldev.info): no default file /usr/share/base-files/info.dir
> available, giving up.

I am not familiar with the "install-info" routine on MacOSX. Under unix,
it suffices to have write permissions in the directory in which info files
are stored, and there has to be a "dir" file which keeps the list of
documentation files.

The last seems to lack in your system. I could design ECL so that
documentation is not installed in MacOSX, or perhaps a flat installation
-- everything in a single directory -- like in Windows would be better.

> It seems to have installed the rest of ECL so that's not too bad.
> However:
> pomajxego:~ luis$ ecl
> dyld: ecl can't open library: /lib/ecl/libecl.dylib  (No such file or
> directory, errno = 2)
> Trace/BPT trap

The location of libecl.dylib is hardcoded in the executable and it has to
be the place where it is going to be installed. It seems the wrong
location is here stored. Could you send me, by private email, a log of the
compilation process.

> It kind of works after I create a symlink there.
>
> However, it doesn't seem to be able to lead any libraries:
>
>> (require :asdf)
>
> ;;; Freeing library /Users/luis/Software/lib/ecl/ASDF.fas
> LOAD: Could not load file #P"/Users/luis/Software/lib/ecl/ASDF.fas"
> (Error: "")
> Broken at LAMBDA.
>>>
> Should (require :asdf) look for ASDF.fas instead of asdf.fas, btw?

Is the filesystem in MacOSX case sensitive? Does it work if you do (load
"/Users/luis/Software/lib/ecl/asdf.fas"?