[Ecls-list] Build cleanups, part one.

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll jlr at mpq.mpg.de
Tue Mar 29 01:25:16 UTC 2005

Hi Maciek,

first of all, thanks for your contribution. I had a look at your patches
and tried them. There are some serious problems with them. First of all,
you have merged the LIBS and CLIBS variables. This breaks the
configuration process, because LIBS contains the garbage collector and,
since the garbage collector is not yet built, some test programs will
fail at configuration time.

The reason is that LIBS and CLIBS are not the same thing. CLIBS are C
libraries which are required for building both the bootstrapping code,
ecl_min, the core library, libecl.so, and also all modules. This
variable may contain libraries which are built at compilation time and
hence it cannot be merged with LIBS.

STATICLIBS has a similar value, but only for statically linked libraries
which are linked to form libecl.so or ecl_min and are not needed by the
modules (*.fas files).

Could you please fix your patches to take this into account: either
restoring the uses of CLIBS and STATICLIBS or introducing three new
variables
* LIBS for all C libraries that are installed and are required by all
code (like -ltcp, -lsockets...)
* FASL_LIBS for C libraries that are required by all ECL code (like
-lgmp, -lgc, etc)
* CORE_LIBS for C libraries that are required only by ecl_min and
libecl.so (like -leclgmp, -leclgc,...)

The old CLIBS would correspond to LIBS + FASL_LIBS, while the old
STATICLIBS would correspond to CORE_LIBS.

Also, I am not sure about the verbose --with-system-boehm-includes, etc,
etc. There is a canonical way to specify include and library
directories, which is to prepend your call of configure with a new value
for CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, etc, like

CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ./configure
--with-system-boehm

Did the FSF guidelines change to this respect?

Regards, Juanjo