[Ecls-list] Building ECL

Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll lisp at arrakis.es
Fri Mar 11 06:32:14 UTC 2005

Jachym Holecek wrote:

>I've built profiled version of ecl [1] and found that biggest offenders
>are memset(), _sys___sigprocmask14(), strncmp(), in this order. The
>sigprocmask() comes exclusively from from setjmp()/longjmp() [2]. I'm
>planning to dissect the results in more detail sometime, umm, later ;-).
>
>Note that I'm currently using rather feature-rich ecl configuration,
>doing more experiments on a minimalistic config might probably make sense,
>too. I'll keep you informed if I get further results...

I wait for these results. From what you show it seems that the garbage
collector is indeed not the major problem, but I am definitely puzzled
about the memset/strncmp calls, which are almost nowhere used in ECL (in
particular "strncmp"!). As for the *sigprocmask*, they can be probably
removed by a careful replacement of setjmp/longjmp with the versions
that do not save signals (_setjmp/_longjmp in some platforms).